Sunday, March 18, 2012

Go

When I have something that I know I must get done I often do everything else but that one thing.
 It doesn't even have to be a dreaded task. The pressure alone creates a profound amount of procrastination and avoidance.

Ironically these are the times in my life that my overall productivity increases, by at least two standard deviations above the mean.  As you would imagine this prevents me from fully reprimanding myself or worse yet, from changing the behavior.  No I did not do that thing I've been telling myself I have to do for months, but yes I did change my oil, buy a lamp, paint my nails, call 23 old friends and leave 22 long voicemails, wash and fold two loads of laundry, meet a cute boy, clean the house, go to yoga, cash a check, shower more than three times in a week, and spend every second of my free time contributing to "productivity" of the world.

Now that I've completed every single errand on my list, I wonder how much longer it will take to add another 15... or perhaps maybe it's time to face my fears and sit down with a bottle of wine to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment