Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Maddalena Guastella Cirignotta, aka Nonna.

In a faraway land of Sicily, in the small town of Scoglitti, lives a 78 year old woman. Her name, Maddalena Guastella Cirignotta. 
She is referred to by many as Zia Lina. Those slightly on the periphery call her Senora Lina. To me, she is Nonna*. 
Nonna was born on March 1, 1934 in Sicily, where she has grown a entire tribe of Sicilians, or so it seems. 
She has 4 children, but birthed 7.  She had two Giambiatistas, two Crociofisos, one Giovanna, and two Rosalbas. Imagine experiencing two still births and an infant death due to illness. The only Zia Giovanna became ill as a toddler and as a result lost her hearing. Nonna's kitchen sign language can not be matched by another.
When her beloved husband of 40 plus years died fifteen years ago, Nonna wore black. For 11 years. 
She has a remedy for most ailments. Upset stomach you say? Nonna would place a lit match in a glass cup and suction it to your upper thigh. And WA-LA! You were either left with singed upper thigh hair, or a cured stomach?
I was having a not so secret summer love affair with the boy on the canary vespa the summer of my 16th year. The 2 to 4 o'clock hours were reserved for nap/rest time in Scoglitti. All was quiet. Or was it?  Canary vespa knew to turn off the engine and walk a block to the back alley and meet me at the window. We would sit and talk and flirt for hours. One day the gig was up. And Nonna chased my Canary love down the street with a broom. 
She's been telling the same stories for at least three decades and makes a fish pasta that is divinity. 
Nonna runs the show.
She can make a grown man cry. 
She is a mother of many. She daily cooks lunch for her sister's son Jonni.   Together they mourn the loss of a sister and mother while filling voids that are left in both of their hearts.
She has two nipoti** with her name. This gives her great pride.
She is currently convinced that I will never find a husband, for sure, because I have a tattoo. What will I do now!?
She giggles when my friends call her Nonna. And manages to find an Italian, or at least a European origin to everyone she meets. I am fairly certain that she pities people that aren't Sicilian. 
Our time together is limited, but more than anything I find myself ridiculously grateful that I had her as mine.
Here's to Nonna!

* Grandmother
**Granddaughters







No comments:

Post a Comment