Thursday, July 19, 2012

40 seconds apart

There were two things that I was hoping would happen at the start of my East Coast trip.
1) I wanted to see my sister still pregnant.
2) I selfishly wanted to be the first relative to get some alone time with our new love.

When I arrived to the airport at the beginning of my trip, slightly disheveled, I was handed one boarding pass. Not sure whether to question or accept, I confusedly smiled back at her. You see, the ticket I purchased was an 8 hour red eye journey with a stop in Chicago. The ticket I was  handed was a direct 4 hour and 40 min flight to JFK.
As though that wasn't enough, Ms. Lovely Airport Lady informed me that today happened to be my lucky day. She had no idea how lucky...or maybe I had no idea. Apparently "my" flight was the only flight to the east coast from PDX that wasn't delayed by 3 to 5 hours. "Enjoy", she says.
As I blissfully walked through security I arrived to my terminal to find a stunning man waiting for me. For real, I'm pretty sure he was waiting for me.
We spent the next hour having a deep meaningful conversation and then boarded our direct flight to NYC.

After a brief reunion with Mr. Attractive Airplane Man at the baggage claim in the morning, I called my sister, and caught a cab straight to the hospital. We were about to have a baby!

When I arrived she was in the midst of her 40th hour of labor.  Her vagina wasn't quite ready for delivery so she was sent to take a walk. This meant I was given the gift of experiencing the beauty of labor and two people's love and care for one another. My sister was in immense pain, almost unfathomable, yet there was a raw beauty to it, and an end in sight. 

Once the contractions were 45 seconds apart we returned to the hospital...


No comments:

Post a Comment