Sunday, June 5, 2011

Vegetable love

Recently I've only been eating what I can buy from the farmers market and in bulk from the local co-op.
I think I spend less money, I eat more plant based food than I've ever eaten before, and I am 100% regular.
I find that I have to get pretty creative sometimes with my meals as I'm not accustomed to making so much healthy food from random vegetables.


Some of my favorites:

Radish and Carrot Salad
I use a grater to grate both the carrots and radishes.
Add a sprinkle of raw sugar.
a bit of white wine
a bit more vinegar
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Fennel Salad:
Dice the fennel pretty thin
Several tablespoons of olive oil
half of lemon
salt and pepper to taste


Southern Kale: (I didn't make this one up)
saute garlic and spring onions
add chopped kale with a bit of water
cover the pot with a lid and let it cook down


Kale Chips: (a good after dinner snack)
sprinkle olive oil on a cookie sheet
cut kale into small pieces and lay on the sheet
re-sprinkle olive oil on the kale
salt and pepper to taste


Baked Brussel sprouts:
cut the sprouts into fourths
place in a baking pan
mince 5 cloves of garlic
dice half an onion
2 tablespoons of fresh ginger root
cover the sprouts with the onion, garlic, and ginger and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
bake for a while in the oven at a seemingly appropriate temperature

Arugula Pesto: (this is now one of my favorites and a good break to almost 100% fruits and veggies everyday)
Place a couple cups of arugula into a pot of water.
As soon as the water comes to a boil turn it off and dump the arugula over a bowl of ice water. (to stop the cooking process)
I wring the water out with my hands and place the arugula into a food processor(or blender), add several cloves of garlic and some olive oil.
Serve over spinach and tomato or whole wheat pasta.
SO tasty.



No comments:

Post a Comment