Monday, August 13, 2012

Rachel Miller

You may be wondering how it's possible to write a blog entry about a Rachel Miller. 122 million results show up when asking google to find information on Rachel Miller. The United States seems to be riddled with Rachel Millers. Everywhere you go, in many religious communities you enter, you may find yourself meeting a Rachel Miller. 

Several weeks ago I met a power house Rachel Miller that left me inspired. I have found myself silently cheering her on in my quiet moments. I've shared fragments of her song with old friends and new acquaintances. I suppose more than anything I found myself celebrating her and the people like her that fill up our world. 

I was looking for a place to stay in New York while visiting my newborn niece and family. Times are tough, public education is poor, and people are awesome. Couchsurfing (http://www.couchsurfing.org/) is always the way to go. But when I was having trouble finding a place to stay I turned to my friends. Becky, a friend from High School, was celebrating her daughter's 2nd birthday when she got my call. Without a moment's hesitation, her mother overhearing the conversation, insisted that I must meet and stay with Rachel Miller. Rachel had gone to high school with Becky's father and everyone agreed this was a match made in Heaven. For the rest of the evening every time she thought of Rachel and I meeting, she cheered. 

After spending a sleepless night on an airplane, followed by 7 hours of observing my beautiful sister writhe in labor pains I disembarked from the Metro at the West Indies stop, better known as Church Ave. Finding each other was quite simple. I was the non Caribbean person wearing a 34 pound backpack. She was the other non Caribbean person. She was expecting a tall, slender blonde, not someone who "was like her". "Short and JewSiclian looking?", I asked.
We walked to her 2 bedroom,  3rd story Brooklyn apartment and she gave me the house rules. 
1) You are home, make yourself feel it.
2) Eat anything you want. 
My body desperately wanted sleep. Conversation would have to wait. For the next 14 hours I slept and dreamt in a safe and comfortable bed in a safe and comfortable home. 
The following evening Rachel and I shared stories. Rachel is aligned with her truth and that woman speaks it. Loud yet softly, she lets her truth echo throughout the universe.
Rooted in Mennonite Heritage and in pure love, Rachel took me on a journey through religion, oppression, motherhood, marriage, divorce, friendships, starting over, sex, online dating, and  organic adventure.
The Rachel Chronicles will leave you wanting more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment