Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kindred Spirits



On Sunday I got to spend most of the day with a family that is quite dear to my heart.



I met Becky when I was 14 or 15 years old.


At one point throughout the school day I returned to my locker. Inside of it I found a rainbow colored oil painted card. I opened it up and inside there was a message from this blonde beauty I had not yet become friends with.


She had seen me earlier looking sad. For some reason I thought high school was the greatest thing ever, so sadness was not a common emotion I had painted on my face. She didn't want me to be sad, so she wrote me a card and painted it rainbow to send some sunshine in.



Really?


People like that really do exist.


From that point on Becky was a constant. A constant rainbow in my life. She was with me during my dark years in college as I dealt and faced the results of an ugly divorce. I was with her during transitions she faced. We celebrated with each other. We have cried in each others arms. We have eaten amazing food and cuddled for hours on the couch. We have shared thoughts freely with one another, opposing or similar, and have extended respect and listening ears.



Several years ago, Becky and her little sister Hannah and I decided that we very well may be soulmates. Perhaps just kindred spirits. But definitely family.



I don't get to see these girls enough. Recently another little girl joined the group. Becky and her husband Jason had little Ellen Grace last July. Ellen, is special. I'm not biased I'm honest. This tiny creature has a radiance about her. She loves people. She loves to smile. She loves. And I love her back.


I'm lucky I have people like them in my life.


1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous that you got to spend time with Becky & meet her little girl!! So so SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete