Friday, May 6, 2011

Facing the fear


I have some friends in my life that are so brutally honest with me.

I suppose a method of growth is having people push and challenge you. Courtney has been a pusher and challenger since I first met her, about five years ago.

If you know me well, you know I am oober sensitive. I prefer to be called out on my shit in a gentle manner. Or perhaps rather, I prefer to be called out by people that I have formed a trusting relationship with.

I love Courtney and I have always felt loved back by her, so when she chose to tell me what she told me last night, in the midst of placing dollar bills in a drag queen's cleavage, I had to stop and just listen to her words.

She ended her mini lecture with, "Face your fears, Elissa."


I have a handful of fears, but through years of reflection, I think I've concluded that they all stem from one major fear.

A fear that is difficult to face. I'm not quite sure what facing it even looks like, however I will begin to allow it to pass over and through me.

So, thank you my kind friend, for telling me things I need to hear, with love, in a gay bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment