Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sarah. Plain, and Tall.

I did something again today that I don't normally do. I'm giving away my precious 20 minute lunch time to read with students.
This lunch break is sometimes my ONLY time throughout the day without children. I value it.

But one of my guided reading groups is reading Sarah Plain and Tall! I say that as though it's a surprise to me, and as though I wasn't the one to walk down to the book room and pick all of my childhood favorites. (We've got Charlotte's Web, James and the Giant Peach, Double Fudge, Misty of Chincoteague, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory going right now.)
Truth be told, I think the only reason they are excited to read this story is because I've been acting like a giddy ten year old. Yesterday we read through our lunch. (I had to hide a tear that I felt welling up as Sarah wrote back to little Caleb, telling him that she does in fact sing.) They asked me if they could come back today to read at lunch. I couldn't say no.

Today's menu: roasted brussel sprouts, black eyed pea soup, 3 students, and Sarah. Plain. and Tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment