Friday, May 13, 2011

Ten years ago.




On a cruel sunny day ten years ago, I was asked to sit down on a fifteen year old reupholstered cozy sofa, in a dark living room, in an empty house, in Belleville PA.

I was informed my life would never be the same.
I remember breathing in freshly cut grass. I remember seeing sadness.

That was the day that ridiculous glass ball I lived in shattered. At least that's what I thought happened. Today I visualize release and freedom.

The ball was broke and I was set free.

Ten years?
It really does seem like just yesterday, and at the same time it was a lifetime ago.
Last night I made myself reflect on the last ten years. 14 countries. 28 states. 3 continents. 2 heartbreaks. 3 hearthurts. 2 loves. 3 cross country road trips. 6 Pacific Highway journeys. 6,879 gallons of tears. 1 shaman. 2 degrees. 11 apartments. 3 jobs. 1 Burning Man. 6 years of therapy. 1 wink at Oprah. 2 summitted volcanoes. 7 journals. 2 cats. 20 weddings. 175,987 kisses. 2 parents. then 0. then 1. 2 bikes. 280(ish) students. 1 pakistani(everyone should have their own pakistani). 2 cars. More friends than I can count. 1 moon.

Thank you Lindsay, and Todd, and Katrina, and Rebekah and Becky. Thank you Beth and Becky. And Elieen and Jasibi. And Majed, and Liz, and Coutney, and Justina and Paul, and Kylie, and Troy, and Elysia. Thank you Joanna and Steph, and Megan, and Uppie, and January, and Shea. Thank you Maria and Ursula, and Jill. Thank you Brian. Thank you Ash and Jeremy. and Natalie. and Jeremy. Thank you Emily and Annie, and Dan. And Stepan and Brad. Thank you Dave. And Kelly and Dega and Brendan. and Larry. Thank you Shannon. And Kari and real friend Katie.

For challenging and loving and pushing and loving and holding and kissing and healing and loving.


I am who I am because of who I am and you are a part of who I am.

Not everything has worked out the way I hoped or thought I wanted it to. Today I celebrate.

1 comment: