Friday, May 27, 2011

Monthly spectaculars


2011 has been pretty kind to me thus far, and I've been quite pleased and thankful for all the opportunities I've had in these last 5 months.

December 31,2010, 11:30 pm. Place, Lima Peru. I began my year on a southern continent.

January.
We dropped off our backpacks and ran into the streets of Lima. We had to take cover from the homemade fireworks, as several young boys were setting them off across the street from us and an older gentlemen was setting one off about an inch from us. I was convinced we weren't going to make it back alive. My fears were reinforced when we walked by a flaming fire in the middle of the street as a result of a "gone bad" fuego artificial. It was either the fireworks, or the crazy drivers... red lights mean beep loud but don't bother to slow down, that were going to be the end of Elissa Cirignotta... or so I thought.
January was full of surprises. Besides bussing my way all over the luscious mountainy Peruvian terrain and surfing and sipping beers on the cold waters brought by the Humbolt current I also got to go to a place that I have seen in my dreams. A place I consider to be one of the most magical lands on earth. Easter Island. I climbed a volcano. I talked to the heads. I cried into the ocean. I developed excitement over a far away Southern romance. I watched the sunsets and saw the sun greet me in the morning.
February.February was no disappointment after thatepic adventure. I battled my usual issues obviously, but was getting so many universe kisses still that I often woke up feeling giddy.
I spent the short month visiting with my old friends. Holding babies. Skyping my southern romance. And then my friend asked me to go to Oprah with her. I got to do yet ANOTHER thing I've always thought would be amazing to do in my lifetime. I winked at this American Icon, Oprah Winfrey. And as though it couldn't get better, Oprah gave me (and everyone else there) 2 tickets to Ceaser's Palace in Vegas, along with 2 tickets to Celine Dion, and free food for the weekend. Good one, universe.

March.
March was pretty monumental. I made a leap larger than I thought possible toward healing a wound I've been hiding. March was healing.
However, all good things must also end... so they say.

April.
April had it's FAIR share of difficulties. But it also had Oprah's vacation to Vegas with 3 amazing women. And 7 days of Coastal California with powerful and beautiful people. Plus I got a really big paycheck.
May.
Other than going on the romantic DC date that I always wanted to go on, and having some out of town visitors, my month has been kinda...blah?
I keep waiting for that awesome something to happen. It doesn't. Perhaps that's unrealistic. It is quite uncommon to have a "spectacular" event occur every month of the year. However on the flip side, I lead a slightly uncommon life right now. Perhaps turning 28 is going to be spectacular? Maybe I should focus more on those small day to day joys in my last 4 days of May and 27?


No comments:

Post a Comment