Monday, May 30, 2011

How to... make friends.

I met this girl a week or so ago while hula hooping. She was nice enough, and we chatted while hooping. After some conversation we discovered that we not only both had the same outdated blue chocolates (that's a phone), but we also taught in the same district, just a mile apart, AND we shared a mutual friend, my brother-in-law.
At the end of our conversation she invited me to participate in a Monday Night Activity Club that she started several years ago. "A great way to meet friends", was how she ended her quick advertisement for her 140 person club.
Well... if you happen to know me these days, you know that I'm in the market for some friends. Not that my friends aren't good enough, because I am quite happy with each and every one of them, but many of them still here in the DC area are now married or with child, or both= makes for a lonely Friday night.
I saw an email sent out from the MNAC about a play tonight at Woolly Mammoth, the best theater in DC, and I decided to jump on it!
I was meeting one of the participants of this MNAC at the theater for my ticket. As fate would have it, this dude, knowing I don't know anyone yet, gave me the ONLY ticket that was by itself, in the second row. "Jerk", was my first thought. But fortunately I sat beside a chatty guy. And really, everyone in the theater was a stranger so it didn't really matter who I sat beside., just stunk because the whole reason I drug my butt out in the gross heat was to go make some new friends...

The play was phenomenal! Go see it. BootyCandy.
http://www.woollymammoth.net/performances/show_bootycandy.php

Well, at the end of the play, my chatty neighbor Raul, asked me to get coffee with this week. And WALA, new friend.

So there Monday Night Activity Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment